The Bradbury B.O.S.S.™ Shear Brings Speed and Accuracy to Roll Forming
There are approximately 300 Bradbury Orbital Servo Shears (B.O.S.S.™) installed in roll forming lines around the globe, and that number continues to grow because of the efficiency, accuracy, and flexibility of the B.O.S.S.™. Introduced in 1998, the B.O.S.S.™ Shear continues to revolutionize the metal sheet cutting industry.
Bradbury developed the high-speed, closed-loop flying shear to increase shearing productivity – and there is no other piece of equipment like it. With its state-of-the-art features, the B.O.S.S.™ provides high production rates with close tolerance shearing. As an added feature, the shear can be equipped with notching or slitting - allowing the B.O.S.S.™ to be used for various applications. The intelligent drive and shear system allow the B.O.S.S.™ to be close-coupled to a new or existing roll former. The unique orbital design provides fast, smooth production rates, and the acceleration or deceleration of the line does not affect the cut. An operator can manually enter length and batch information at the control station, or the B.O.S.S.™ can receive downloaded production information from a remote computer.
What sets the BOSS™ apart from the competition?
- Dual acceleration arms and stable, heavy-duty linear bearings produce extremely accurate cut tolerances.
- Cut accuracy is consistent throughout the entire acceleration and deceleration range of the roll former.
- The smooth, hump-free operation eliminates noise and possible strip damage and paint marking caused by roll feed/hump line precut systems. A four-roll cluster of work rolls corrects both upbow and down bow in the strip.
- The reverse knife blade design of the four-edge bowtie blade assembly turns any burr up on the leading edge of the strip to help protect the sheet surface during the stacking operation.
- The B.O.S.S.™ has no hydraulic functions, which results in easy maintenance with no mess.
- Length and batch quantities can be downloaded from a remote scheduling PC with additional software and cabling or entered directly at the online operator interface.
- The B.O.S.S.™ can be close-coupled to a panel roll former, reducing floor space needed to operate the machinery.
- Using the hand-wheel and lead screw, adjusting and locking the entry squaring guide is easy and time-saving when changing strip width or position.
- Four cascade rollers form a large radius to guide the strip into the shear. The rollers eliminate set or cross break as the strip starts and stops over the rollers.
- The base is fabricated with heavy plate construction and equipped with lifting lugs for safe transport, accessible hold-down holes, and leveling screws.
- Maintenance panels are hinged and safety interlocked electronically for quick access and operator safety.